We use a competency-based approach to developing success profiles for leaders and defining roles. While competencies are just one piece of the overall talent management equation, they can often drive a more strategic approach to employee assessment and selection, performance management, succession planning, employee development, and training by providing a framework for integrating these different initiatives and anchoring them in the organization’s values, strategies, and business objectives.
“Best practice” companies put greater emphasis on the identification and assessment of competencies than do others. More specifically, they:
- Hold leaders accountable for developing and demonstrating a core set of leadership behaviors
- Clarify the capabilities needed to execute on business strategy
- Tailor the success profile to different levels of the organization and key roles
- Provide orientation/training for line managers on the use of talent management tools. e.g. how to assess competencies, how to coach for competency development, how to provide feedback, etc.
- Use technologies, like interactive online systems, to minimize the burdens and maximize participation and support
KCG has developed success profiles and competency-based tools for more than a dozen global companies. We work at both the corporate and business unit levels. We combine a robust methodology with an in-depth examination of what makes your top performers great. We can help you use technology to manage your competency framework online or manage integration with your HRMS or other existing tools.